Unfortunately, homes continue to be the target of crime in the United States. According to the FBI, the average loss from a burglary is $2,799. What isn’t accounted for in those figures is the loss associated with stolen electronic data (computers, tablets, etc.), confidential information, and irreplaceable items. A great way to deter property crime is to install home automation, and a look at 2022 home burglary statistics may help you decide if you should, too.
When do most burglaries occur?
Many people are surprised to learn that most burglaries happen in the daytime, not during the dark of night. During the 12 hours between 6:00 AM and 6:00 PM, the number of burglaries is 65% greater than the remaining 12 hours of the day. There are several reasons why criminals choose this time frame:
- Neighbors are less likely to be paying attention to people on the street.
- It is easier to disguise oneself as a repairman or hired worker.
- More people are at work instead of home.
- People are more likely to leave doors unlocked or windows open in the daytime.
- Fewer people set the security system on during daylight hours.
Does law enforcement catch most burglars?
No. Unfortunately, it is challenging for law enforcement to catch many of these criminals. Burglars are quick; an average burglary is no more than 12 minutes in length. Because of this, police officers only solve about 13% of cases. When homeowners have more evidence like video footage, the likelihood of the case being solved increases.
How can home automation help you deter crime in and around your home?
While many people rely on security systems for protection, simply having an alarm system doesn’t always deter crime. Since burglars work so quickly, they may not care if an alarm blares for the few minutes they are in your home. Instead, home automation is one of the best defenses against burglary and can complement a quality security alarm system.
- Automated lights, audio systems, and window blinds will make it look like you are home, even if you are away.
- Motion-activated lights and sensors can startle potential burglars and notify you of a possible intruder on your property.
- Surveillance systems allow you to see what’s going on around the exterior of your home from your smartphone or another electronic device.
- You can “answer the door” via a camera and communication device, whether at the residence or away from home.
- Surveillance cameras capture valuable footage you can give to police if a crime occurs on your property.
For the best in home protection, choose the professionals at Accurate Electronic Interiors.
From planning to installation, our team of professionals is experienced in all aspects of home automation. We will work with you to design a system that best fits your specific needs. Our systems work together seamlessly to alert homeowners and intruders, capture footage, and make it easy to see what’s going on at all hours of the day and night. Keep your family safe. Visit our showroom or contact us to learn more about what’s possible with modern home automation.