Whether you are approaching your retirement years or you are responsible for caring for elderly parents or family members, home automation provides many benefits you may not have considered before. While home automation systems are often known for being slick solutions that create convenience for homeowners, they have the potential to be essential tools for aging individuals.
How Home Automation Makes Life for Seniors Easier
- Lighting Systems. Have you ever watched an elderly individual with a walker precariously balance while lifting one arm to turn a light switch on or off? Every time the individual removes a hand from the walker, there is an element of risk involved that can create anxiety or lead to injury. With home automation, lights can be programmed to turn on and off at prescribed times or can be motion activated.
- Doors and Locks. Gone are the days when individuals have to hoist themselves out of a chair and struggle to get to the door to figure out who is on the other side. Home automation systems can provide a range of services accessible from a simple control tablet to a smartphone device. For example, it’s simple to set up external cameras to view all the activity outside the front door without ever leaving a chair or bed. With a click of a button, the door can be unlocked to allow someone to enter. These systems also allow remote caretakers to ensure that entries are secured throughout the day or night using the same application on their devices.
- Window Blinds. Opening and closing window blinds is one of the most challenging tasks for elderly individuals. As a result, many leave them closed, creating a dark and depressing indoor environment. Automated units can be programmed to open and close automatically or adjusted by a control panel or smartphone device.
- Distributed Music and Theater Systems. While many of us consider music streaming throughout the home or queueing up movies on a big-screen television as entertainment, these easy-to-access systems make life much easier for older individuals. It can be life-changing to have the ability to select a movie using a simple application on a smart device and then easily change to listen to their favorite music selections instead.
- Other Assisted Domotics. Assisted domotics covers a range of IoT devices meant to aide aging individuals with various needs. Some of these include motion trackers and prescription pill dispensers. Assisted domotics can notify medical personnel in the event of a potential emergency or allow remote caretakers to observe a family member’s condition from any location. Your home automation professional will make sure your home network can securely connect to all these assisted domotics.
Are you interested in learning more about the benefits of smart home technology?
There are so many “smart” tools at our disposal now to add convenience, comfort, and motivation to our lives. The best place to start creating your perfect smart home is with a quality foundational system. Our team will ensure your system will serve you well for decades to come.
Stop by and talk with our professionals at Accurate Electronic Interiors about the latest in home automation technology. Visit our AEI Showroom to feel what living in a smart home is like. Our team can help you decide which systems you’d like to have in your home and build a plan based on your budget to make it a reality.